Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Freeway Ramps

I followed the signs to get onto a freeway. I went along the on ramp, but before I reached the freeway, signs pointed me to an exit. Following the exit led me to another freeway. This was the freeway I wanted to be on.

Such navigation is common in America and I don't know how people got around before GPS devices. In Australia an on ramp is an on ramp and an off ramp is an off ramp. They are well spread out and clearly marked. In America an on ramp can become on off ramp. They can split and merge. And if you are not careful you can end up back on the freeway you just left.

Exits on freeways can be marked by exit number, the road or route number or the destination. Usually two of these appear, but you are never sure which two, so you have to remember all three. Or use a GPS.

Entrances to freeways can be well marked, but often are just a small sign with the route number and arrow right at the on ramp. Use a GPS.

When merging on to the freeway the entrance lane often quickly becomes an exit lane and if you don't get out of it you'll leave the freeway. As you try and merge left, you have to deal with the traffic merging right to leave. Fortunately, the lane is often twice the width of a normal lane, so this merging is somewhat easier. I wouldn't mind these wide lanes in Australia.

When leaving the freeway the exit can turn quickly so you often need to reduce your speed before you enter the off ramp.

Where I am everyone speeds on the freeway by about 5 mph. I've been told the police don't care unless you are going much faster. Quite different from the "Speed Kills" campaigns and cameras and fines I was used to in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment